Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Hush Puppies--Shoes for Squares



I have to say that I thought Hush Puppies were pretty much shoes for squares. I didn't know they had a gastronomical importance as well as the pedigerous meaning that I was aqquainted with. That all changed at a little restaurant on Harker's Island (NC), The Fish Hook Grill. I linked to it, but you should know there isn't much on their web page. Fortunately, there's a lot more to the actual place. The restaurant has a lot of black and white photos of local people and events on the walls and a very local menu. It was a friendly stop for a couple of off-season tourists from Maine. After I ordered up the shrimp sandwich and asked a few questions about the origin of the shrimp the waitress asked if I'd ever had a hushpuppy. I guess my speech gave me away. I thought of the basset hound logo of the Hush Puppy shoe brand, I mean that was my only frame of reference. She explained hushpuppies were a local favorite as a side dish with seafood and she'd make sure I got a couple to try.

Miss Faye, in the kitchen, told me they were made from a cornmeal based just-add-water mix and then dropped in hot fat for a few minutes. Sounded pretty good to me. Served with horseradish and mustard dipping sauce and butter in case being fried in oil leaves them a little dry for sensitive palates, they are a delight. I'll bet they're every bit as deadly as donuts as well. I came home with a bag of mix (no they didn't sell it at the Grill, but it was available in lots of other places).

Oh, and before I forget, I have to admit that I have a pair of those shoes, but I don't wear 'em much.

Headin' up to San Francisco
for the Labor Day weekend show
I've got my hush-puppies on
--Jimmy Buffet

No comments:

Post a Comment